Catholic School Council Fundraising and Grant Report
June 28, 2017.
The 2016-17 school year was a year filled with opportunity and new experiences for St Anthony students. Many of those opportunities are made possible through the fundraising efforts of our community and grants won by our school.
Below is a short summary of our fundraising programs and grant wins and how they have enriched the school experience for our students.
Our Annual Cheque fundraiser brought in $7680. While we were below our target of $10,000, two new fundraisers Fresh from the Farm, and Northern Karate helped bridge the gap by adding $2700 to our coffers.
We enjoyed a very successful and fun Family Dance this year. The event generated $4700.
The money raised through these various revenue streams has supported but is not limited to the following:
- Scientist in the School for every class
- Whiteboard and Projector – Rm 212 with this purchase, every class became equipped with a whiteboard and Projector
- Pancake Tuesday
- St. Anthony Spirit Banner
- Bus to Cross Country
- Bus to Track and Field
- Bus to St. Luke for mass
- Grade 7 Confirmation and Grade 2 First Communion gifts and related expenses
- Recess Equipment for every class
- Bullying Prevention Presentation
- Youth Speak Mental Health Presentation
- Bear Paw First Nation Presentation
- Anaphylaxis Canada Presentation
- Hoza- Nelson Mandela Presentation of live music, song, story and dance, multi-media
- 3 Laptops
- Teacher allowances to cover a portion of the classroom supplies not paid for by YCDSB
Thanks to the efforts of Principal Beverly Coles, St. Anthony was one of only to win a very few schools to win a Teacher Learning and Leadership Program Grant of $24,000. This grant from the Ontario Ministry of Education, is designed to teach computer coding and will allow us to add 10 IPads and 10 Chromebooks to our technology resource centre. We look forward to starting this program in the fall.
This year we also won $3000 dollars in grants from the private and public sectors, (Parents Reaching Out Grant $1000, Metro Green Apple Grant $1000, Markham Canada 150 Neighbourhood Grant $500 and World Wildlife Fund Canada $500). These grants paid for our “Canoe Planter Project”, upkeep in our Butterfly Garden, supplies for our garden club, speakers for our Mental Health Presentation for Parents and our Carnival Week activities (i.e. ice rink rental, rocks and rings).
We thank our parents, families, staff and students for all of the hard work and generosity that made the 2016-2017 a success.
Wishing you a wonderful summer,
St Anthony Catholic School Council